Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Week of April 6th

Purposes of Relief Society:
Increase Faith and Personal Righteousness
Seek Out and Help Those in Need
Strengthen Families and Homes

We've got A LOT of announcements this week, so grab your calendars and here we go:



Relief Society Announcements:
April 10 – Ward Temple Night
  Meet in the Chapel at 7:30 p.m.
 April 13th – Ward Conference @ 9:00 a.m.
  We will have Sacrament Meeting for 1.5 hours and Sunday School for 1 hour.
 April 13th – Stake Musical Fireside @ 6:00 p.m.
  Held at the Stake Center.  All women 12 years and older are invited to attend. Sunday Dress.  Refreshments will be served.
 April 22nd – “Oh the Places You’ll Go"
Stake Meeting for all Laurels and their mothers.  Held at the Burton East Building @ 6:30 p.m.  Sunday Dress.  Refreshments will be served.
 May 18th – Stake Conference
 May 25th – Relief Society Musical Number.
We will be singing “Come Thou Fount” in Sacrament Meeting.

BYU-Idaho's Education Week is scheduled July 31 - August 2, 2014.  In order to keep costs to a minimum, volunteer hosts are being requested once again to help staff the event.  Volunteer hosts will receive a complimentary pass when committing to serve a part-time shirt for three consecutive days (ThursdayFriday, and Saturday).  Interested individuals will be contacted with more information.


Hosting duties may include:



   *Greeting participants
   *Checking registration tickets as participants enter classes
   *Taking attendance counts
   *Assisting the faculty
   *Hosting table
   *Ability to stand for 30 - 45 minutes, walk moderate distances, and climb stairs



An orientation meeting will be held on the BYU-Idaho CampusSaturday, July 19 from 10 - 12 noon in the Austin Building (Room 105).



If you are interested in participating, please email me (Wendy) with the following information:



Name        Mailing Address        City            State        Zip            Telephone        E-Mail

SERVICE OPPORTUNITY AND GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

Julie Coray helps with a "Teddy Bear Clinic" at the hospital, and she says they are looking for about 50 gently used stuffed animals that they can have on hand to give to the kids who don't have a stuffed animal to bring with them.  Please talk to her if you can help out with this!

 Revised Lesson Schedule:
April 20th – Joseph Fielding Smith #7 – “Joseph and Hyrum Smith – Witnesses for Jesus Christ.”
April 27th – Joseph Fielding Smith #8/ #21 – “The Church and Kingdom of God” and “Proclaiming the Gospel to the World”
  May 4th – Joseph Fielding Smith #9/ #10 – “Witnesses of the Book of Mormon” and “Our Search for Truth”
May 11th – Joseph Fielding Smith #11 – “Honoring the Priesthood Keys Restored through Joseph Smith”
May 18th – Stake Conference            
May 25th – Teachings For Our Time

New Family:

The Barricks have built a new home in the Petersen subdivision!! (next to the Rick's and across the street from the Roberts).  John and Jeanette Barrick have 4 children - two sons and two daughters.  All of their children are either married or attending college.  Jeanette is related to Barbara Smith!

I happen to know Jeanette personally, and thought it would be fitting for me to tell you how I came to know and love her.  When I was expecting my oldest child, I was assigned to be Visiting Teaching companions with Jeanette.  I had been visiting teaching a little bit in college, and had had one partner since I had been married.  I thought I had been a pretty good Visiting Teacher. That was before I started going with Jeanette!  I have always felt -and have frequently told my family - that she trained me on how to do Visiting Teaching right. I still don't feel like I do it as well as she did!

First of all, Jeanette LOVED the ladies that we visited and didn't have enough good things to say about them.  I initially thought that this was because she had been in the ward for a long time and knew all of these ladies and had a history with them...but then we were assigned a new sister in the ward that neither of us really knew.  Jeanette worked hard to get to know her and treated her the same way!  

I could always count on a call from Jeanette towards the very beginning of the month - we would go over who would be teaching the lesson and who would be scheduling appointments, and we would always do our visits early on in the month.  I know this was all her, because going early in the month is still not a strong point of mine to this day:) Then, throughout the month Jeanette would keep me abreast of what was happening in the lives of the sisters we visited, and remind me of birthdays, etc.  We never missed a month of visits, and somewhere along the way I developed a strong testimony of visiting teaching.  Jeanette was such a good example and wonderful friend to me!

I can't wait for all of you to meet Jeanette and get to know her.  She is such an amazing person!

RS

RS